Monday, July 21, 2008

2-at-a-time socks


Well, I did it! I taught myself how to knit 2-at-a-time on Magic Loop. I had purchased the book and the needles last month, but they just sat there...waiting for some magic fairy to teach themselves how to knit! So yesterday, I sat down and was determined to figure it out. I know, I could have gone to the class at my LYS ($45), but it wasn't in the budget.

So off I went....the cast on went ok, I didn't quite get the instructions on Left vs. Right, so maybe I had the needles wrong, but by looking at the photos, I was able to figure it out. The first row of ribbing was very iffy...I thought for sure I had twisted the stitches, but no, everything worked out fine. Just trying to figure out how long to make the leg. These are going to be for one of Sister's children. I cast on 48 stitches and I'm just doing simple knit-k2tog-yo variation, so they look a little pretty (either a boy or a girl sock).

Don't know if I will make all my socks with this method, it is a little tiring having to fix the loop, switch the yarn etc...but it will be very nice to have a complete pair of socks when I'm finished!

3 comments:

lauriec said...

I am SO proud of you! I keep eyeing that book but haven't picked it up yet.

Pheelya said...

I'm like you, I have to books but haven't read it yet! I guess I was hoping the information would enter my head through osmosis! *laugh* I should probably pull that book out and try it now that I am stuck home for a few weeks :)

LeslieJ said...

yes, go ahead and try it, the starting is kind of shaky, but after that ZOOOOOM. I'm at the heel flap, kind of wondering how it is going to pan out....